Apprentice Gardener – Twycross Zoo, Warwickshire
We have a great opportunity for an Apprentice Gardener to assist the Gardeners/Grounds Maintenance Operatives in ensuring that the site is maintained to the highest possible standards in accordance with good horticulture practice for the enjoyment, recreation and safety of site employees and visitors. This position is to be based at Twycross Zoo, Warwickshire.
To assist the team of Gardeners in undertaking the full range of garden maintenance duties to enhance the general condition of the site including:
- Horticultural operations including formative pruning for a range of plants, annual seasonal bedding operations, pest & disease control, general grass cutting, watering of trees, etc
- Hedge cutting, irrigation, strimming, edge reformation
- Litter picking operations
- Weed control.
In return we offer:
- Permanent Position
- Competitive salary
- Regular training
- Career progression within National Company
- Annual Pay review
- Recognition scheme
Relevant education, training and skills
- Driving licence would be an advantage but not essential
- Effective oral and written communication skills necessary to meet the duties of the post
- A real interest in working in a parks or landscape environment.
- The ability to develop new skills in horticulture and a willingness to learn about plants and landscaping
- A demonstrable ability to establish and sustain good working relationship within a team environment or the ability and initiative to work alone, to be motivated, honest and reliable.
You will be provided with practical instruction and experience to support your day release at college whilst obtaining a nationally recognised qualification in amenity horticulture. Some assessments will be made whilst you are working on site. Please note that assignments may involve study in your own time, including use of the Library and ITC at college.
Applications without a CV will not be considered